Friday, February 26, 2010

Sportferien Aktivitäten

The kids had a week of school vacation in February called "Sportferien" or "Sports vacation" (also know as ski week).  We didn't go to a ski resort, as they're all very crowded with the schools in Germany, Austria and Switzerland all on holiday, but we did some activities in town.  On Monday I took the kids to Zürich to the famous Franz Carl Weber toy store.  It hsa several levels (4 or 5), with a giant dragon slide going from the main level to the lower level).  The kids loved the slide and kept running upstairs to go on it again.  They even have a restaurant in the store, so we made a day of it!  We did, of course, buy a few toys before we left as well...

It was a week of slides (Rutschbahn), as we went on Tuesday to the bread factory / museum not far from our house. They had an old fashioned slide where you can slide on a flour sack down two stories. Even Meredith and I got into the action! It was really fun - although the sides weren't very high and I thought I may fly off!
Wednesday, Dave took the day off and we went skiing with Elise and Nathan while Meredith and William went to their preschool / childcare.  What a fun ski day.  We went to a little resort only 40 minutes from our house called Atzmännig.  It was so much fun!  Nathan and Elise had both finished their 5 weeks of ski lessons through their school and they are doing really well.  Dave went with Elise and I went with Nathan, and it was great!  Nathan is awesome!  He is so daring, and can go all over the place.  He even goes up the steep tow rope lifts.  That's a big difference between the US and Switzerland - there are far fewer chair lifts here.  There are t-bars and tow ropes all over the place here.  At first I avoided them, because I think they're a lot harder than a chair lift, but now I'm used to them.  And, Nathan has no problem with them.  He had so much fun, going down the piste, looking for little hills where he could go faster (he went toward the signs marked "caution", while I avoided them!).  He is such a happy, pleasant kid!  I'm looking forward to skiing more with him on our upcoming Easter vacation.

No comments: