Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Dreikönigstag (Three Kings Day) - King for a Day!

We celebrated a fun holiday earlier this month! In the Christian calendar, January 6th is when the three kings visited the stable where Christ was born. On that day each year, people in Switzerland and Southern Germany buy Dreikönigskuchen, a ring of bread rolls, one of which contains a small plastic king. Whoever ends up with the king in their piece of bread gets a crown and can tell everyone else in the family what to do for the day.
We had our Dreikönigskuchen in the evening on the 6th, so we decided whoever got the king could be "King" for the rest of the evening and the entire next day. We all took our rolls from the ring of bread, searching for the king. Then, Nathan said, "Hey, what's this?" as he pulled out a small plastic king from his bread. He got the crown, and with lots of advice from Elise, gladly ruled over everyone for the next day.

1 comment:

Logan St Journal said...

I must admit I am jealous of all these amazing experiences you are having. O.k., so not Really jealous, but wishing I could join you there. I am glad you are blogging these things both so we could learn about it and so you can always remember. I wait with bated breath for the announcement of a baby! Michelle Logan